Wednesday, November 5, 2008

And fear prevails?

Of everything that I've heard over the last several months leading up to yesterday, this quote is the one that saddens me the most ... because it proves that perhaps most are too weak to not let fear and ignorance overwhelm them.

"As a licensed minister, if I was told to wed a lesbian or gay couple, I'd refuse," said Arab. "I'd take my chances and go to jail. It's anti-biblical and against God's law."

The right for same-sex couples to marry was to be a STATE recognized union. This was not the State telling churches they had to marry these couples, yet that is obviously what was believed.

The quote was taken from my local newspaper in this article:
http://www.sacbee.com/391/story/1371979.html

Granted, the lead is a slim margin (52% to 48%) and only 92% of precincts reporting. It COULD change, but I'm not holding my breath after all the hate I've seen recently.

Believe me I can understand the other side's view. Most are upset simply because it's changing the TRADITIONAL definition of marriage. They claim that same-sex couples already have all the same rights, etc. But the truth is they don't. If their partner is hospitalized or sick, do you think they are allowed to be at their side? No. I can also understand this from the religious side, having grown up with a Roman Catholic grandmother. But as I've said before, Church and State are separate and this was a STATE issue. This country was founded in order to be free from oppression and to allow for religious freedom. Right now that's not looking like the case.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the
pursuit of happiness."

That is a very well known excerpt from the Declaration of Independence.
By the passing of Prop 8, it's my opinion that we just told a group of Americans that they are NOT created equal.

No comments: